Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Iron Girl race report a day (or five days late) and a few pictures short...

Sorry that it has taken me so long to post about last weeks race. So much to do, so little time.
I have been working full-time this summer and I am not used to it. I know that women do it all the time and I salute you. Wow, it is hard-okay enough of the whining.

Race Report

I don't know about you, but I always get so nervous getting ready for a race.

IronGirl was no different

Saturday (before the race) my son, Trevor and I went to Lake Lanier to put my bike in transition and pick up the race packet. It was about an 1 1/2 to Lake Lanier so we made an afternoon out of it. I was so happy that we were able to put our bikes to rest the day before. No having to worry about setting it up the morning off.
I picked up my packet, along with the wonderful card from Aflac and a visor from Team Courage. All part of the awesome package that Aflac paid for.
Then it was off to the expo, Trevor and I sampled some products, talked to ladies and gents, signed up for chances to win prizes and stayed for the clinic at 3:00. After the clinic we headed to the van to put a bike computer on Sally (Trevor named my bike). Why I thought that it would be a good idea to mount a bike computer on my bike the day before the race is beyond me. Trevor was a good sport and sat in the back of the van with the hatch for an hour while I tried to get the stupid #$%&* bike computer to work. I gave up trying and we walked Sally to the bike transition.

As we were going into transition a very fit lady by the name of Amy caught my eye. She was wearing an Ironman visor. I immediately started asking her questions, picking her brain about what it took to complete an Ironman. She answered my questions so graciously and she also told me that she is a swim coach in Kennesaw. Jackpot! I asked her if I could call her for some coaching and she gave me her number. Look forward to see what happens with that. We then headed to a nearby pizza place to carb up.
I had a very restful evening with the family. My husband and I had established that we would ride together to the race on Sunday.

I don't like to ride with my family to a race, I like for them to meet me at the race.
For all kinds of reasons I won't go into I like to prepare for the race on the way to the race-Does that make sense? Well, the whole way there they got on my last nerves. They were not ready to go when I needed to go and I arrived at 6:40 am. My wave was starting at 7:00 am. Agghhhh!!!!
Needless to say I was able to get transition set up and make a beeline for the water. A little frustrated I got into the water to warm up. Within what seemed like seconds they call my age group together for the start.


More to come....

No comments: