Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lake Murray Triathlon


What an amazing rush. My first triathlon this season. Nothing like crossing the finish line.

I drove to South Carolina on Saturday, May 17th with my friend, Sharon and her mom. We checked in to the hotel and then scoped out the course, picked up my packet and went out to dinner. I didn't want to eat anything heavy, so while everyone else was eating chips and salsa, I was thinking, "If I eat that I am going to have trouble". Sometimes I have stomach problems and I didn't want any trouble for the race.
Went to bed about 10:30 pm. I think I finally drifted off at 11:30 pm. The alarm woke me up at about 5:o0 am and I ate a bagel with peanut butter, got dressed and waited for my ride. Darron (Sharon's brother) picked us up at 5:30 am.
I felt more confident this time knowing what to do in setting up the transition and preparing myself mentally for what was about to happen.
Out of the three events, the swim was the one I was worried about--750 meters!!! I was used to doing 400 meters.
The bike I thought I would have a decent time--new bike and all!!!
and the run, what can I say? I wanted to run it in under 35 min.

As we neared the water ready for the start, I tried to calm myself down.
Breathe deeply I said to myself. The buzzer went off and there I went. I told myself that I wanted to make it to the finish and I didn't care what the time was I just didn't want to be last.
As I came out of the water (not last). I was so thankful that the swim portion was over. 24 min.
T1
On to the bike. Got a great start. My chain came off 2 times in a matter of 20 min. I wasn't really prepared, good thing it was just the chain. 1:01
T2
Coming off the bike my legs were pretty strong. I finished in 35 min.

Overall, I was very happy with the results. I am looking forward to the next tri

2 comments:

Dee Dee said...

Hey Tri Chick! I am doing the Callaway Tri on June 22, same as you as my b race. The following weekend I am doing the Aflac Iron girl race at Lake lanier on June 29and my first oly in Aug in North Carlolina. Wes is doing Chattanooga .

Kevin said...

Congrats on a great race. Good to hear your new bike is working for you.